Petticoat bodice

The shirt is not even nearly finished, but I’ve still started working on the petticoat. Actually the work has been in progress for a few weeks now, because the mundane life is always more or less unfortunately distracting me. Anyway, here is the bodice of the petticoat nearly finished. I apologize for the quality of the pictures, but I’m sure you’ll get the idea.

bodicefrontThe cut is based on a pattern in The Queen’s Servants¬†and the fit was adjusted with a friend.¬†I made the bodice out of red velvet and lined it with red fabric that’s supposed to pretend to be taffeta. There is no interlining because I didn’t think I’ll need one, and was right. My main concern was that the bodice was going to be too short, but as you can see, it reaches my waist just right. The edge on the waist is still raw, so imagine it’s 1 cm shorter and neat.

The bodice is side laced mainly for two reasons. Assuming that Catherine followed the Italian fashion, most of the examples are made this way. The other reason is personal, I like a smooth front better.

bodicesideThe bodice doesn’t seem to fit right, but as you can see it’s not tied properly and I’m trying to pull the temporary lacings tight while taking the photos. Also the shirt is different, it’s too full for a tightly fitting bodice like this. Remember that this is a work in progress and that it’s going to look a bit different when done!

Advertisements